Thursday, July 10, 2014

Hills Like White Marshmallows

I'm a Leo. I like fire. I really, really like fire. I sometimes have to be told to tone it down a bit on the fire thing. Right now my neighbors are roasting marshmallows for S'mores over a fire and it's all I can do to NOT invite myself over. One, I love S'mores. Two, I'd save them, you see.

Once, when I was a kid, I put out a marshmallow/lip fire on someone else's face. But that was in another country, as Hemingway once wrote. (With some other phrase that put down some woman or other.)


For some reason I underlined that part. No idea why. In that story, the major is "utterly unable" to resign himself to his wife's death. I learned lots from Hemingway in high school. Not so much after that, and I know he is controversial, but I'd gone through loss in my life and other writers didn't cut it with me back then. I was a tough little Hemingway devotee because my dad taught his work and because the hills across the valley were long and white and the woman brought two glasses of beer and two felt pads.

Well, now I'm just plagiarizing, which is a really tough word to spell. Even in another country, I bet.



"He was awake a long time before he remembered that his heart was broken."

No comments:

Post a Comment